With no experience or skills required, bring your positive attitude and donate your time to a great cause. You will meet local people, improve your customer service skills in a very kiwi setting and gain local knowledge.
Bring your friends to make it more fun, and enjoy 2-4 hours on a range of tasks, such as sorting through a bag of donations to prepare them for sale and finding out how much you can raise for North Haven Hospice patient support.
Volunteering at the North Haven Hospice is very rewarding and fulfilling and it can teach you skills and give you experiences that will be useful on your CV, when looking for employment in New Zealand.
- Be a great listener - Have fun and stay safe by following instructions carefully.
- Make new friends - This is a group experience so go along prepared to start conversations and make some new friends :-)
- Speak slower please - Kiwis speak very quickly and use a lot of slang. Feel free to ask people to speak slower or to repeat information if you need them to!
- Please and thank you - A friendly reminder to use ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ lots for all the people who will be helping you during this experience.
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.
- Hello and goodbye in Māori - If you want to start practising some basic Māori phrases, you could try using ‘Kia ora’ (hello) and ‘Ka kite’ (goodbye).