Pioneer Village in Kaikohe has been putting on big events throughout the year for their community and they’re always looking for volunteers to help out in a range of different activities. They’re looking for people to help set up and pack down, operating machines and games, helping out on the BBQ, security or first aiders, even café workers – the list goes on!
If you would like to immerse yourself in the local community and help a big event to run smoothly, this is the opportunity for you. All training is provided, so all you need to bring is your positive can-do attitude and get stuck in!
- Be a great listener - Have fun and stay safe by following instructions carefully.
- Speak slower please - Kiwis speak very quickly and use a lot of slang. Feel free to ask people to speak slower or to repeat information if you need them to!
- Please and thank you - A friendly reminder to use ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ lots for all the people who will be helping you during this experience.
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.
- Hello and goodbye in Māori - If you want to start practising some basic Māori phrases, you could try using ‘Kia ora’ (hello) and ‘Ka kite’ (goodbye).
- Outdoor eating - You can expect to be eating in the outdoors, which means finding a spot on the ground to sit and enjoy your meal - make the most of this ‘el fresco’ experience!