Join Habitat Tours for a magical evening at Tawharanui, an hour north of Auckland, home to the North Island brown kiwi. Enjoy a light supper at sunset before taking a guided walk to discover kiwi and other nocturnal wildlife. Enjoy the incredible night sky, well away from the city lights.
After sunset, the bush environment changes. Tawharanui is home to the NZ Brown Kiwi, few NZ’ers have seen this bird in the wild, Morepork (NZ owl) and Weta.
Much of our insect life, fish life and some birdlife are nocturnal, this is an opportunity to experience what goes on in the dark!
This is an outdoors activity and the weather is often changeable. The tour is viable for most weather conditions. Just bring your keen sense of adventure and enjoy NZ’s wonderful natural environment!
– Depart Auckland 6pm – return 11.00pm approx. (Times differ outside daylight saving).
– Pickups also available at Warkworth & Matakana.
– We have a very high success rate of seeing kiwi.
– Tour Includes transport, guided walk, light supper.
*Minimum of 2 adults for a confirmed tour departure.
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Be a great listener - Have fun and stay safe by following instructions carefully.
- Be considerate of others - You’ll be part of a group, so it’s important to be kind and courteous.
- Stay safe in the outdoors - Your guides know the environment better than anyone and are there to keep you safe; listen to ALL their instructions, ALL the time.
- Be a respectful visitor - You will be a guest during this experience, so please be respectful. Two important Māori customs are to take your shoes off indoors and avoid sitting on tables or pillows.
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.
- Permission for photos - If you are taking photos that include other people, always ask them first if they are happy for their photograph to be taken.