Rangitoto Island is situated about 8 km northeast of Auckland, a 25-minute cruise from the downtown ferry terminal, with some sailings travelling via Devonport. Rangitoto is connected to Motutapu Island by a causeway, so it’s possible to walk between the two.
What can I do?
Summit Climb – The Summit Track winds through lava fields and native forest to the peak. At the top, take in panoramic views of the Hauraki Gulf across to Auckland. There are informative signage displays along the way and significant human history. For example, the Summit Track and island roads were built by prison labour between 1925 and 1936.
Lava Caves – about 45 minutes into your Summit Track journey. Located 200 metres from the summit, these lava tubes were left behind after the passage of liquid lava.
The short diversion leads you to the Rangitoto lava tunnels, about 15 minutes each way.
Rangitoto Shipwrecks – A graveyard for unwanted vessels. At least 13 ships were abandoned here between 1887 and 1947.
- Be sun smart - Make sure you bring sunblock to protect yourself from the Kiwi sun (even on cloudy days!)
- Make new friends - This is a group experience so go along prepared to start conversations and make some new friends :-)
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Stay safe in the outdoors - Your guides know the environment better than anyone and are there to keep you safe; listen to ALL their instructions, ALL the time.
- A chance to relax - This experience is one way Kiwis like to relax and enjoy life so it will seem very relaxed. Have fun, enjoy slowing down (away from work or study) and relax!
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.
- Outdoor eating - You can expect to be eating in the outdoors, which means finding a spot on the ground to sit and enjoy your meal - make the most of this ‘el fresco’ experience!