Join a knowledgeable Watch This Space guide and explore the story of Otautahi Christchurch’s emergence as an urban art destination! Spend over two hours roaming the central city and learning about the art and artists that have brought the city’s walls to life. From the diverse artistic techniques, to the role of creativity in the city’s recovery from the Christchurch earthquakes, the tour considers both the global and local contexts of these vibrant art forms. With small groups and a flexible schedule, our guided street art tours are a unique way to consider our experience of urban space and how cities are re-imagined (oh, and you might even get the chance to make your own piece of art!). Whether you are an artist, an urban explorer, or simply want to experience a city through a new lens, our street art tours are a perfect way to explore Otautahi Christchurch and the art and artists who have contributed to it’s story.
- Be sun smart - Make sure you bring sunblock to protect yourself from the Kiwi sun (even on cloudy days!)
- Make new friends - This is a group experience so go along prepared to start conversations and make some new friends :-)
- Speak slower please - Kiwis speak very quickly and use a lot of slang. Feel free to ask people to speak slower or to repeat information if you need them to!
- Be considerate of others - You’ll be part of a group, so it’s important to be kind and courteous.
- A chance to relax - This experience is one way Kiwis like to relax and enjoy life so it will seem very relaxed. Have fun, enjoy slowing down (away from work or study) and relax!
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.
- Permission for photos - If you are taking photos that include other people, always ask them first if they are happy for their photograph to be taken.