Orana Wildlife Park is New Zealand’s only open-range zoo. The Park provides amazing opportunities for visitors to connect with nature. Visitors can meet NZ’s only gorillas, travel through the Lion Reserve, hand-feed majestic giraffe, meet rhino ‘face-to-face’, encounter mischievous kea, observe kiwi, view monkeys, meerkats, tigers, cheetah and much more. Scheduled daily presentations and guided tours, often operated by volunteers, occur daily.
Orana’s amazing volunteers are key conservation ambassadors and are a key part of the Park’s operation. They primarily assist with visitor services helping to enthuse visitors to get involved in conservation action at home through directly engaging with visitors to ensure people have an enjoyable visit and learn about the species we are privileged to hold. Please contact us for an application pack. Full training and assessment are provided.
Volunteering is a challenging, varied and interesting role. Further details and a full information pack can be found here
- Be sun smart - Make sure you bring sunblock to protect yourself from the Kiwi sun (even on cloudy days!)
- Make new friends - This is a group experience so go along prepared to start conversations and make some new friends :-)
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Be a great listener - Have fun and stay safe by following instructions carefully.
- A chance to relax - This experience is one way Kiwis like to relax and enjoy life so it will seem very relaxed. Have fun, enjoy slowing down (away from work or study) and relax!
- Be a respectful visitor - You will be a guest during this experience, so please be respectful. Two important Māori customs are to take your shoes off indoors and avoid sitting on tables or pillows.
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.